Friday, September 9, 2011

Getting crafty...

Just before Labor Day weekend, I had an itch to get crafy and make a highly impractical baby dress in an effort to teach myself/practice my sewing skills. I had seen a dress idea that I liked, and I attempted to copy it. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that the only tulle I would be able to find is the scratchy, stiff kind and not the nice, soft, flowing kind. Yes, I could spend money to order the right fabric online, but this was a cheap practice attempt at sewing, not something that needed to be perfect. So, I made due and ammended my original plans.

After a couple of failed attempts at cutting the tulle to the right size and shape, here was the final result:



Feel free to ignore the baby drool on the front of the dress. Oh, and did I mention how impractical this dress is?? :-) But hey, I still think it's pretty cute for my first solo clothing making attempt!






And check out the buttons! I finally learned how to sew button holes and attach buttons using my sewing machine. Woohoo!






Now I finally feel comfortable with the idea of making halloween costumes or fun costumes for dress-up when Amelia gets older. And maybe I'll even make some fun clothes while she's still little enough to not care if they aren't perfect? I'm so wishing I had a serger and a ton of spare time... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment